Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

24 April, 2020

SHARING MY MOTHER'S RECIPES


I venture to say that a good 95 per cent of the tempting recipes appearing on Facebook timelines these days have never actually been tried by those posting them. The qualifier seemingly being that they just look good in the picture. But that's okay...Recipes are fun to share and generally even better when put to the acid test, the proof always being in the pudding.

I've even posted a few recipes myself, admittedly not a manly thing to do. But I've got news for you...I never posted a recipe that I didn't try at least once myself and before earning a "Dick seal of approval." Anyway, not being particularly adventuresome, I love the old tried and true recipes that remind me of my youth (1940s in particular) -- growing up in a family of four aunts, all sisters of my mother Grace. The Perry girls were outstanding cooks, each one having a reputation for excellence in one area of specialty i.e. cookies, cakes, pies, casseroles; not to suggest that there were not equally adept at putting together a gangbusters full-course meal of which I frequently partook.
While I was at it I thought that I would share
one of my mother's "Dick's favorite" recipes.
This was from the WW2 period when baking 

supplies were rationed. Note: No flour or 
baking powder required in the ingredients.

The remarkable thing about the Perry family, nine siblings in all, is that they lived no more than 90 minutes apart, so gatherings were frequent and traditionally food oriented. And you know what?...At no time do I recall liquor ever being involved. Not even wine as an appetizer...It was just not needed.

At any rate my mother, being my mother, kept a binder of family recipes which I frequently refer to, as recent as earlier this week when I made one of her ginger spice cakes, an old fashioned mix if ever there was one. What makes her hand-written notes so special for me is that she gave credit to the originator of the recipe, more often than not one of her four sisters -- Della, Edith, Hattie and Beth (as copied above).

Take my word for it, they are excellent recipes and you are invited to try any one (or all) of them. The Perry girls would be honored, especially my mother.

Before you go, however, here is a tribute to my aunts -- they were special!



No comments: