Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

12 May, 2020

WORTHY NOTES ON TAKING A STAND

I took advantage of a few idle moments today to clean out my computer files of notes and downloads that are no longer of any value to me. I hesitated, however, before pressing the delete key on several notes related to the subject of "taking a stand". In considering their enduring relevance, I reproduce them here, unedited, just because I can.

Taking a stand on something -- your product, your writing or your personal views -- has practical benefit. On the other hand, if you try to please everyone, you’ll end up pleasing no one. Trust me!

Yes, you stand a chance of upsetting someone. You may even make the odd person mad. You may offend some who in the end may unsubscribe or unfriend you, but that’s life. I have a proclivity, however, for taking a stand and, ideally, gaining a few like-minded supporters (even converts) along the way.

Truthfully, I am convinced that I write for the majority. I strive to leave a feel-good or thought-provoking message, otherwise I would not waste my time (countless hours of thought, research and eventual commitment to the printed word). Strangely enough, when I do not elicit reactions (pro or con), that's when I am disappointed and left feeling that I have failed to leave a mark...Only a writer would understand that!

No question about it, If you take a stand you will certainly get noticed. That’s why many people don’t take a stand. They don’t want to get noticed by someone who doesn’t agree with what they are saying...It’s better to play it safe. But who ever got any place by playing it safe?

I find myself drawn to and respecting people who take a principled stand even if it is diametrically opposed to my own. I would rather have a principled foe who frustrates the hell out of me, than a wishy-washy friend. What challenge is there in that?

Aside from the practical benefit in attracting passionate supporters, there is another and maybe more important benefit of taking a stand – your self-respect. Whenever I’m quiet about something that is important to me in the face of strong opposition, I end up feeling troubled about it later. Whenever I hold back on writing something because I’m afraid it might offend someone, I lose a little respect for myself. When I stand up for what I believe, I feel good about myself no matter what anyone else thinks.

I've always liked what good old actor/U.S. President Ronald Reagan had to say on the subject: “If some among you fear taking a stand because you are afraid of reprisals from customers, clients, or even government, recognize that you are just feeding the crocodile hoping he’ll eat you last.”

No comments: