Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

09 May, 2020

REMEMBERING GRACE HELENA WRIGHT, 1903-1994

Me and my mother Grace, winter of 1938.

I've always been conscious of wet feet...Can't understand why, unless...

When I was a boy, and it chanced to rain,
Mother would always watch for me;
She used to stand by the window pane,
Worried and troubled as she could be.
And this was the question I used to hear, 
The very minute that I drew near;
The words she used, I can't forget,
"Tell me, my boy, if your feet are wet."

Worried about me was mother dear.
As healthy a lad as ever strolled
Over a turnpike, far and near,
'Fraid to death that I'd catch a cold.
Always stood by the window pane, 
Watching for me in the pouring rain;
And her words in my ears are ringing yet:
"Tell me, my boy, if your feet are wet."

Stockings warmed by the kitchen stove,
And slippers ready for me to wear;
Seemed that mother would never tire,
Giving her boy the best of care,
Thinking of him the long day through,
In the worried way that all mothers do;
Whenever it rained she'd start to fret, 
Always fearing my feet were wet.

And now, whenever it rains, I see
A vision of mother in the days of yore,
Still waiting there to welcome me,
As she used to do by the open door.
And always I think as I enter there
Of a mother's love and a mothers care;
Her words in my ears are ringing yet;
"Tell me, my boy, if your feet are wet."

No comments: