Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

20 January, 2023

STOP STRESSING OVER THINGS WE CAN'T CONTROL

No more pulling my hair over matters that are beyond me.

I can state
unequivocally that I have stopped worrying about things that are completely beyond my control. Especially the matters that will carry over well into the future long after I have departed this worldly compound.

In no special order, things like... 
-- other people
-- global climate warming
-- environmental pollution
-- controversial emergence of a New World Order
-- increasing cost of living
-- growing distrust of all government and politicians
-- man's inhumanity to man
-- unjustified war and destruction in many parts of the world
-- what makes madmen like Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump really tick and why do they appeal to a certain segment of society
-- ever increasing numbers falling away from church membership
-- ongoing strife between unions, corporations and government
-- and whimsical annual questioning why my Blue Jays and Maple Leafs find ways to disappoint fans in the playoffs (some of the pain relieved however by the 2022 Grey Cup winning Argonauts).

...To name just a few of the irritations that heretofore have driven me up the proverbial wall.

That is not to say, however, that I will discontinue following the said issues in the news of the day. I will simply afford soap opera, horror story status to the majority. In other words, entertainment when I have nothing else better to watch on TV or read in the newspaper.

The notion that I, in my small corner, have absolutely no influence on world affairs, is an obviously realistic one; but the saving grace is that I can still vent personal thoughts on Wright Lane...and that much provides a degree of release.

It is not too much of a generalization to suggest that worrying comes from the innate desire to be in control. No doubt about it, humans in general are eager to control their immediate environment, some even going so far as to harbor questionable influence on a broader scale.

But when you worry about things you cannot possibly have control over, then you let mental stress drain ability to cope rather than conserving that time needed to be at your best as you go about your daily priorities in life. In my experience, the more I've wished that I could control certain things, the more anxious I've become.

It’s hard not to care. But it is even more challenging to deal with the amount of energy worrying actually takes away from you.

THE KEY TO STOP WORRYING NEEDLESSLY, I THINK, IS to recognize what you can and cannot control. Once you grasp the concept, that’s when you can start taking the necessary steps to stop caring about them.

It is important to understand that there will be some situations in life that you won’t be able to change, and that doesn’t mean that you should give up. And it doesn’t mean that you should think any less of yourself or think that your life is ruined.

Mind you, drifting through life believing that you control nothing is just as damaging as believing that you can control everything. There’s a certain balance needed here.

From a young age, people are given the illusion of control, the belief that we can shape the world around us and customize it to our desires. We are told that we have the power to change reality, only if we work smart and hard enough.

This is followed by a lifetime of insecurities, stress, and anxiety. You can’t possibly go through life thinking that if you manipulate your surroundings and environment in the right way, you’ll be able to protect yourself from pain.

As I say, what you can control is you and how you react to issues of concern.

You’re the one in control, not of your destiny, but of the path you want to take. Continually stressing about uncontrollable variables will only take away from what is left of your peace of mind. Life is simply too short for any of that.

No comments: