Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

06 May, 2021

I DON'T LIKE WHAT I SEE, BUT I HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT



"O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us

To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An’ foolish notion”

Translation:

Oh, would some Power give us the gift
To see ourselves as others see us!
It would from many a blunder free us,
And foolish notion

~ Robert Burns,

I have always been conscious of the saying "see yourself as others see you" and appreciated the wisdom contained therein as positive in nature.

...That is until yesterday as I was walking away from our local hospital after a blood test requisitioned by my oncologist. By happenstance, I glanced at my reflection in the large glass doors and deep side windows.

"Oh my Lord, I'm walking like I was 100 years old," I shockingly said to myself and promptly put forth an effort to speed up my pace with an added spring in my step.

Guess what? No difference. I was still shuffling along like I was 100 years old -- and everything in my body was hurting just a little more too.

I live only five doors from the hospital yet the walk home seemed like five miles, giving me sufficient time to rationalize and reluctantly accept what I had just experienced. 1) It ain't going to get any better, it is what it is, 2) Heaven help me if I let my mind catch up to my weakening limbs, and 3) stop looking at my reflection in doors and windows.

In all seriousness, the thought crossed my mind that I am 16 years away from my 100th birthday and what kind of shape will I be in by that time?

Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see. Meantime, I've got too much to do and can't waste valuable time worrying about it.

Besides, when I'm sitting down I still feel like I was 21 years old and fully capable of going nine innings, or running a 100-yard dash. All of which explains my motivation to sit down a lot these days.

Anyway, from here on out, I'm going to make it a point to do a little more walking every day in the hope that I can liven up my step just a bit...I'm kind of masochistic that way!

No comments: