Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

04 March, 2021

A MESSAGE WHERE APPLICABLE



What follows is a transcript of the above video prepared as an acknowledgement for my Facebook and Wrights Lane friends.

For the better part of this past week a thought has been rolling around in my mind and until now I haven't quite been able to put words to it.

It has to do with people who have been in the faith as long as I have, brought to light after my last, abbreviated stint as a lay preacher doing pulpit fill duty for three small community churches. Ninety percent of the congregants were over 60 years of age and they have heard it all, yet they still faithfully attend church worship services Sunday after Sunday. 

If I had one more opportunity to speak to those individuals, what could I possibly say that they hadn't heard delivered from the pulpit a thousand times before? What meaningful (and applicable) message could I possibly convey? That thought has always bothered me. 

Likewise, what might I say to my elderly Facebook and Wrights Lane followers who have aspired to a life built on Christian principles?

Well it might go something like this...

At the end of your life, if you look back on it and have time to evaluate it—I'm sure there will be certain things that you did that you will consider significant, that those things made life worthwhile. 

At such a time some people look at their family and they say that that was good, that that was important. 

Or perhaps they'll look back at the friendships that they had and look back on them as one of the significant things that made their life worthwhile. 

Or perhaps you'll look back on your job, that you've made a difference in some way. Sometimes people do great work that changes the world or changes people's lives. Maybe in your work you've helped people and when you look back on your life you'll get a certain satisfaction from that.

But all of those things, as important as they are, are nothing compared to the way you celebrate a Heavenly creator. For those of you who are Christians, it's the great reason you are here. Consider the New Testament words of Peter (1 Peter 2:9)


"But you are a chosen people,
a royal priesthood, a holy nation,
a people belonging to God,
that you may declare the praises
of him who called you
out of darkness
into his wonderful light"

If you can look back on your life and say that you've spent a great part of your life among God's people declaring his excellences—there's nothing greater than that. Your life has been worthwhile. You've done the greatest thing that anyone can do. That's what Peter tells us when he talks about identity in Christ and earning authority in the spiritual realm.

And we are only human...Right!?

Your life does not need to be a constant repetition of deeds and pronouncements advocating your faith -- leave that to the ordained among us, but if you have gone about your daily routine acknowledging your blessings and quietly giving of yourself and, as your faith dictates, contributing to the betterment of the world around you, then my friends, in my mind (and I think in God's too) you have attained the royalty priesthood of which Peter spoke.

Well done, my "saintly" sisters and brothers! A HEAVENLY AWARD AWAITS YOU!

....AND I SALUTE YOU.

No comments: