Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

17 December, 2019

SANTA MAKES COMEBACK FOR LEGION AUXILIARY LADIES

Millie said that she'd been a good girl all year.
Santa Claus is getting up in years...So are the kids he visits!

It is all relative, I suppose.

I was lured out of retirement last weekend to play Santa (no doubt for the last time) for a bunch of girls attending the annual Southampton Legion's Ladies Auxiliary Christmas dinner. The "girls", 45 in all, ranged between 65 and 90 years of age.

Apprehensive and a little rusty at first, it didn't take long for me to fall back into the role of the Jolly Old Gent with the hearty Ho Ho Ho belly laugh that I had portrayed countless times in the past. It's like riding a bike...You never really forget how.

The ladies, for the most part, were like little girls again, peeling back the years for a few special minutes -- waving hello and giggling with glee as Santa made his grand entrance. For the next half hour, everyone in attendance had an opportunity to receive a gift from Santa and to sit on his knee...That's were the fun really began.
A big hug for Santa.

The individual reactions to Santa were interesting. Some of the ladies did not hesitate to rush up to Santa and to give him a big hug as they snuggled into his lap. Several kept coming back just to give Santa another hug and a kiss on the beard. Others were a bit more reluctant and had to be encouraged by Santa's helper to "Go ahead, sit on his lap."

"Where do I put my legs? one woman asked sheepishly. "What do I do with my hands?" yet another asked, causing laughter from the onlookers and a few provocative answers. 

Just as I remembered kids from my experiences at Sunday School Concerts, business parties and shopping mall appearances away back when, a few of the ladies were actually shy and hesitant, preferring to just stand beside Santa while their photo was being taken. One didn't want her photo taken at all, which was completely okay.

I got a kick out of one senior lady (an acquaintance) who kind of side-stepped me as she hastily made her way to the coat room. Not wanting her to get away that easily, I put out my arms in beckoning fashion. Without breaking stride, she looked back and exclaimed almost disgustingly "I know who you are!"

I'm still not sure if she was disappointed that I was an imposter and not the real Santa Claus or that she was simply letting me know in no uncertain terms that she saw through the charade.

As I later removed Santa attire in the men's washroom, I was engulfed by a familiar sensation...and it felt good that once again the old guy had brought joy and happiness into the lives of others.

I was sent on my way with a box of mashed potatoes, dressing and gravy (the kitchen had run out of turkey).

Merry Christmas to all. And to all a good night!

Good thing Santa had two knees!

No comments: