Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

17 May, 2010

FORWARD PROGRESS, ONE STEP AT A TIME

Who takes photos of their feet?...Me!

It was purely on impulse that I snapped this photo as I walked along the beach in Southampton.  The image has haunted me ever since.

I originally set out to take some shots of the Lake Huron shoreline and Chantry Island lighthouse in the distance, all of which I have since deleted from my photo gallery files.  For some reason I hung on to "the feet" exposure and it has taken a while for me to understand why.

The photo, oddly, reminds me of a time when I was confined to a wheelchair for the better part of four months.  My recovery from major surgery to both feet and ankles was painful and slow.  At one point I began to question if I would ever be able to walk normally again.  

When, finally, I was able to limp unaided for a few precious steps, I was greatly relieved and very thankful.  Today, I have one pace -- slow and deliberate, no longer the sprinter I once was on the race track and baseball diamond.  And, you know what?  It doesn't matter.  I am happy just to be walking and I rejoice in every step that I take.  I no longer take walking for granted.

When we are deprived of the ability to take steps in life, we stand still.  We do not move forward and there is danger of stagnation.  We simply cannot get anywhere, literally and figuratively, if we do not put one foot ahead of the other in advancing to  our intended destinations and objectives (goals).

Conversely, with every step backwards, we move further and further away from where we intended to go.  Generally, we should avoid reversals in direction and  wandering aimlessly through life.  It behooves us to step forward with intention and purpose.

It may hurt sometimes, but step lively dear friends.  Step lively!

...And take time to smell the roses along the way.

No comments: