Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

21 July, 2019

THE GRASS WASN'T GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE, BUT IT NEEDED MOWING

Photo showing a portion of my neighbour's large front lawn.
TYPICAL ME: My next door neighbour has been laid up for the past couple of weeks recovering from prostrate sugery and an aftermath bout of infection. His massive front lawn has been getting quite long and I've been meaning to offer to cut it for him. 

Last evening as I finished up cutting my own lawn I noticed a young fellow starting to cut the neighbouring grass using the owner's electric mower and walking at a snail's pace behind it. I thought he may be the neighbour's son from Toronto and decided to chip in and help him get the large expanse cut before dark. (At the rate he was going, he would never have made it.)

After a good 45 minutes of cutting and without speaking, we met in the middle for the last two rows. Shutting off his mower, the young fellow reached out to shake my hand. "Thanks a lot," he said. "That was a big help!"

The scene now switches to this afternoon and the neighbour's wife was out picking some lettuce from her table top garden as I approached her from the driveway. "Incidentally," she said, "thanks for helping cut the lawn last night."

"No problem," I responded. "I thought Art's son (second marriage) needed some assistance. "He seemed to be labouring a bit in the heat," I added, putting it mildly.

"That wasn't Art's son," she announced to my surprise. "He is the grandson of a friend...and he was being PAID! Art's kids are older than that. But thanks again!"

As is so often the case, the joke was on me. But surely I get merit points along with a chuckle of embarrasment for a double good deed.

Then again, maybe I should just learn to mind my own business. I've been told that more than once.

No comments: