Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

08 May, 2019

CROSS NOBODY WANTED WELCOMED IN MY HOME


Little things, like small blessings, mean a lot.

At least in my world they do!

Sometimes such things come quite by accident. Other times, perhaps by Divine intervention or pre-destination -- if you really want to get carried away with the prospect.

Pardon me, however, if I happen to think that it can be a little of all three possibilities.

Thanks to a friend of a friend, last evening I came into possession of a rather impressive handmade wooden cross -- all six feet of it. The sizable cedar crucifix has a rather unique history to it. It was the creation of Six Nations members and for the past 20 years had a place of prominence in the chapel of an Elders Building in Saugeen First Nation, just north of Southampton.

As time wore on the chapel was not being utilized for its intended purpose and last fall it was converted into office space for Home & Community Care programming. Pastors in Saugeen First Nation were initially offered the cross but when no interest was shown it was placed in storage over the winter.

Long story made short, I became aware of the availability of the cross (free of charge) and did not hesitate to express my interest in giving it a new home...in my home.

But what do you do with a large cross like that outside of a religious setting? Well, that's the upside of living alone -- you can do anything you want.

I have, perhaps temporarily, given the cross a new place of prominence in my living room along with an open bible on a strategically-placed drumtop table where I can see them as I pass by dozens of times a day. While symbolic of the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ who died for the sins of the world, it is almost like having a another person in the house; one that brings an otherwise unexplained sense of comfort and salvation.

So, as I say, just "a little thing..."

Me, a rescue dog and a cross nobody wanted. Good company!

No comments: