Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

03 January, 2018

SINGER JANN ARDEN: MY KIND OF OUT-SPOKEN CANADIAN GAL

I don't mind confessing that I am a fan of Canadian singer-songwriter Jann Arden.  In particular I admire her candid commentary, outlook on life and sense of humor often sprinkled with off-color remarks. She is about the same age as my oldest daughter.  I honestly wish that I knew her better and I guess that is why I follow her on Facebook and have even evoked some comments from her.

Jann Arden: eight-time Juno award winner and
new member of The Order of Canada.
Jann is a spontaneous human being. "I say things and do things and immediately know whether or not that the sentence or the action is going to get me into trouble," she stated in a post today. "Sometimes it is the very 'trouble' that I seek. It is the response -- the outcome and the reaction that I want to explore. They aren't always pleasant, but it certainly keeps my life interesting. You can't be afraid of offending people, because that's gonna happen no matter what you do..."

I knew exactly where Jan was coming from and could not resist the impulse to share her views on Wrights Lane.  She expresses my own philosophy to a T.

"If I am safe all the time, I'm never going to be anymore than I am now. And I want to be MORE. I want to stretch myself in every possible way," she went on to explain. "My grandmother said a profound thing to me one dreary afternoon many, many years ago. 'Jann' she said, 'You need to spread yourself as THIN as possible. You cannot expect a seed to grow when it is clumped together with a thousand other seeds. It's got to have room, a LOT of room.'

"I'd always heard the opposite, that you couldn't spread yourself thin and expect to get anywhere, and here she was telling me it was quite the contrary. I've never forgot it and I've been trying to put myself out there ever since. I don't have to be good at something in order to try it. I don't have to succeed at it, I don't have to win. I just want to do things and be as bold and as fierce as the Universe allows me to be.

"Meeting new people has been my most precious "thing" this past few years. Finding like minded souls that are traveling through the mire with you is so spectacular. Finding that 'one' person that makes you want to write a million songs. Finding that kindred spirit...Attraction is so deliberate but it is so very rare. I know that for certain. It is rare indeed to connect with another person, so when it happens, put them into a jar and screw the lid on (punch a few air holes though, you'll need them)."

As a parting thought, Jann challenged readers to "Go do things...Piss people off and ruffle feathers and rub the world the wrong way every now and again.  Get people talking.  Get people thinking. Wake them up...Most of them don't even know they're sleeping."

Right on Dear Jann!

As for me, I've already placed you in a jar -- and punched a few air holes in the top.  The last thing I would want to do is to snuff out your candor and freshness. You're a keeper!

No comments: