Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

22 October, 2017

"GOING BACK" IS NOT ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA

I often find myself relating to the writings of Rev. Bob Johnston. as if he and I went to the same "old school". The retired Saugeen Shores minister this week talked about his decision not to attend homecoming festivities on the campus of the University of Debuque several years ago. Here is what he shared:


"While I cannot live in the past, I can choose to let my memories of those long ago years be uncontaminated by the reality of the passing of time. In other words, when I close my eyes in a quiet moment of recollection, I can once again find myself back in 1959. All my teammates are still fit, young athletes, proudly wearing the Spartan blue and white uniform. We can run six miles and finish strong. My girlfriends remain Prairie-fresh beautiful, pony tails bouncing and Pepsodent white smiles radiant. My profs are dynamic and idealistic conveyors of truth. Eisenhower is President!
Rev. Bob


"Were I to return to my campus in 2013, nothing would be the same: My teammates, those still alive, would be old men much like me, now content to climb six steps, not run six miles, without puffing. Those “young women” would now carry the added wrinkles, sags and grey hair of long life. My profs are all dead and a man named Trump is President!

"I know the counter-arguments: I would be accused of being superficial, my long ago friends are still the same good people despite inevitable superficial changes in packaging, I could relive the good old days of athletic success with teammates while we mildly exaggerate to one another about post-university life achievements. I suppose I could flirt harmlessly with the widowed grandmothers as we exchange photos of our grandkids. We could all studiously avoid talking politics. Above all, by revisiting my old campus, I might even reawaken half-forgotten memories of good times when I was single and carefree, not yet having to shoulder major life responsibilities."

Bob concludes that he has no regrets over his decision. Sometimes cherished past memories, like precious old photos, are more valuable when left un-retouched.

I completely concur with his sentiments...Those are the very same reasons I choose to avoid "going back" to my old hometown of Dresden these days. Likewise St. Thomas, Simcoe, Prince Albert (Sask.) and Brampton where I left a lot of myself behind during my working career.

Memories, good and bad, are better left in the past. They are the markers of the journey through life. It is necessary to know where we come from because only then can we know where we are going. But why attempt to revisit what was? -- and in the process risk spoiling what is!

Come to think of it, who cares anyway. I can literally count on one hand (with at least three fingers left over) the times that I have been invited back -- anywhere, and by anyone.

...And no one has used up more ink on nostalgic reflections than me. Rev. Bob at least has the satisfaction of being asked to go back and there is something to be said for that.

2 comments:

John Hus said...

Sometimes going back can be fun... I would not be chatting with you if not for the past. Just a thought ?

Visit Wrights Lane said...

Chatting with an old friend is indeed fun. Nurturing a relationship from the past happens only with special people who cling to a common unspoken bond without having to relive it. If you can accept the fact that people change, get older and have evovling interests, then you have the best kind of old friend.