The concept of visualization as a means to attain a desired result first interested me as an over-the-hill athlete and I have spent considerable time studying the technique over the years. In fact I have written more than a few times about what I first called "stepping outside of yourself", which to me is an extension of visualization.
I have also often used the cautionary expression "Be careful what your wish for (or pray for) because it just might come true." In other words, make sure that you are prepared to receive the things you wish and pray for because chances are very good that you will receive them. If you are going to dream about something, and in the process visualize it, make sure that it is something that is in your best interests and has potential to enhance the life you want to live.
Don't fantasize aimlessly...Dare to dream the impossible dream and believe that it will come true.
Natalie Ledwell, co-founder of an interesting visualization tool called Mind Movies, sent me an email the other day that really reinforced what I believe to be true on this subject. She even gave "Be careful what you wish for..." a slightly different twist.
"I think you should be fearless when it comes to your dreams and wish for things beyond your wildest imagination. Your dreams should awaken your soul and spark a deep passion within you. And when you find a dream that provides a true purpose for your life, it's important that you don't let it just pass you by," she stated.
Natalie offers five reasons to follow your dreams.
1. They make life worth living. If you love what you're doing, it won't feel like work. Your dreams are the reason to keep going even when life seems hard.
2. You can be an inspiration to others. If you follow your dreams, you'll inspire others along the way and this will lead to many meaningful relationships and experiences.
3. You'll meet amazing people. When you are motivated and excited about your dreams, you'll meet other high achievers that will continue to support you in everything you do.
4. You'll make yourself proud. When you go after something you're passionate about, your confidence will skyrocket and you'll be ecstatic that you achieved something you've always wanted to do.
5. You'll achieve amazing joy. Life without purpose can be bland and unsatisfying. When you go after your dreams - you'll notice a positive transformation in your outlook on life.
"Life is short, so why not spend it doing something you love? " adds Natalie.
I find these words of special value for young people starting out in life. How wonderful it is to know that you can have the life you want if you dream about it in the right way and for the right reasons. Now if only I could turn the clock back about 60 years.
Nevertheless, I can still dream...can't I?
We all can!