Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

09 May, 2013

BARRETT: MY LATEST LITTLE BUDDY


Barrett with new sunglasses -- and a stick. 
Over the years I have had many little buddies.  I have written about some of them.  Invariably, they ended up calling me "funny guy".  A few adults have also called me a funny guy, but I much prefer it coming from the mouth of a babe.

My latest tiny tot chum is 22-month-old Barrett.  Already he gets "Bear" for short.  He lives across the street from me with his young mom and grandparents.

Barrett likes lawn mowers, snow blowers, tools of all kinds (his grandfather's) and sticks, any kind of stick. He has a two-word vocabulary, "hi" and "bye", both of which sound pretty much the same.  We have great conversations, all one-sided; but I often catch him studying me as if thinking "what a funny guy."  When he wants me to sit down he pats a chair, the ground or a step with his chubby hand.  I try to comply in spite of my very stiff arthritic ankles.  By the time I get down to his level, he is generally off to something else that has caught his attention.   He is a great waver and shouts "bye" long after I have left the scene.

His folks are trying to get him to say "please" and "thank you", but I am waiting for the first time he calls me the way he no doubt sees me -- "funny guy".

I've already told Barrett that I think that he is a pretty funny little guy.  He makes me laugh!...All kids do.

No comments: