Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

01 March, 2013

TODAY I JOIN THE WELSH IN CELEBRATING...

Well, they come and they go on March 1st.  Take me and St. David, the patron saint of Wales, for instance.

St. David apparently died on this date, and approximately 20 centuries later I was born.

It is not commonly recognized in North America,  but March 1st, is St. David's Day - a day of remembrance for the death of  the Patron Saint.  Tradition holds that he died in the year 589 and, in the 18th century the first day of March was declared a national holiday in Wales.

As the Patron Saint of Wales, St. David plays a very important role in Welsh culture with parades held in Wales, especially in Cardiff where the Queen or Prince of Wales attend festivities.  People of Welsh background, such as 19th century explorer David Thompson and 20th century novelist Robertson Davies, are remembered on this day and many Canadians can trace their ancestry to Wales.  Unlike a number of contemporary Welsh "saints", David was officially recognized in 1120 by the Vatican.

The Welsh flag.
The Welsh generally are known to be extremely talented people.  Heading the list of Welsh notables in the entertainment field are singer Tom Jones and actor Richard Burton.  Actress Catherine Zeta-Jones is also of Welsh heritage.

I don't have an ounce of Welsh blood in me, but I enjoy celebrating March 1st. anyway.  Glad my mother had me 75 years ago today on good old Canadian terra firma!

No comments: