Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

31 May, 2011

MY LATEST BACKYARD MIRACLE

HELLO WORLD!...THE BREAKTHROUGH MOMENT
HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW!?

Miracles never cease in my back yard it seems.

Last summer it was a stray, determined sunflower seed that grew and grew against all odds, once stripped of all its leaves by a hungry Cotton Tail Rabbit and three times beaten to the ground by high winds and heavy rain storms.

This summer it is a fern pushing its way through five inches of driveway asphalt.  Several weeks ago I noticed a baseball-sized mound heaving up and breaking through the asphalt just inches from a garden walkway.  Within a 48-hour period the tips of several baby Fiddle heads were distinguishable as I pushed aside several clumps of asphalt (see photo above).  It was then that I realized that I had another amazing summer story in the making and weeks of fern-watching entertainment ahead of me, courtesy of Mother Nature.

Today I photographed the mighty little fern again -- all 18 inches of it, crispy green, healthy and justifiably proud of its accomplishment, in a horticultural sort of way.

If only we mere mortals could harness the sheer force and power of that little fern pushing its way through a driveway surface, surely we could move mountains.

Awe, the wonder of it all!

No comments: